Monday, February 14, 2011

Why You Should Finish School

School Prepares You for The Future




During my teen years, I hated school!

Many days I just wanted to stay home. I felt like I didn't fit in. I had a few friends. I hung with the not so popular group.

Have you noticed that I have a gap in my teeth? Well, I do. I use to get teased about this; by one particular guy in school (high school). Do you remember the commercial song for Gap? He would sing it. "Fall into the Gap!"  He made me feel very insecure with my looks. Really, he had no room to talk about anyone. He was tall and slinky. Frankly, he was very unattractive..... I'd just laugh it off. Sometimes I'd pretend not to hear him.

I made poor grades in high school. This was mostly because I skipped school a lot. Also, the alcohol and drugs played a part in my bad grades. I was too high to focus on getting good grades.


What I Learned From Staying In School

My parents made us prepare for school the day before. We had to get our school clothes out (iron them). We had to make sure we had our homework and school books ready. Then on the morning of school, we had to get up, get dressed, eat breakfast (sometimes fix it), and walk 30 minutes away. Sometimes we caught the bus. Most times I walked. I avoided the bus whenever I could. There were too many problems on the bus (fighting, teasing). All of this turned out to be valuable training for me. I didn't think so at the time. This training prepared me for the routines of life (when I left home), and the routines of a job.

I'm glad I got my diploma. I can't even count the number of times I've had to answer yes to the diploma question on a job application. Many times I had to present a copy of it. I've landed some good jobs over the years. I finished high school and got my diploma. I was very proud of myself! My hard work had paid off. All the mornings I had to get up early to walk or catch a bus to school. I learned how to be independent and stick to a schedule (routine). My parents didn't believe in taking five kids to school. Now I can say, "I'm glad they didn't do everything for me."

Staying in school was very hard. Life after graduation was even harder. If I had not received my high school diploma, think how much harder things would have been for me.....I tell all young people, Stay in school. Get your diploma. Make yourself and your parents proud!

You will regret it if you don't.

Thanks for reading! If you liked my article, please say so. You can also leave a comment if you like. I love reading other people's comments!



You may also enjoy the SAT Training System
Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment