Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Is Juvenile Prison The Answer?

A ten year old boy shot and killed his own mother. I'm just now reading about this one. When I read this story, It really touched me. Why would a 10 year old kill his own Mother? Why do some parents keep guns easily accessible to children?

As some of you may know, I'm totally against guns. I'm so glad that we don't have guns in our home. You just never know. My kids sure aren't perfect. I hope that they would never use a gun on me. That's why I think it's so important to teach our kids about guns while they're young. Teach them the danger of guns. Let them know the consequences of harming someone with a gun. Television and XBOX games don't keep it real.

The Reality Of Guns
I'm always letting my kids know the reality of committing a crime. I let them know that they can go to Juvenile. I tell them that it's not a pretty life either. They were a bit surprised when they read this story. Seeing a 10 year old in hand cuffs and all, made my 12 year old son think. I don't think he's ever seen a 10 year old in hand cuffs in real life. When he was younger, he use to like the toy hand cuffs. He and his sister would always run around hand cuffing one another. They would act like little cops!

Although this boy committed this horrible crime, he's still a child. I don't think he was educated on guns and the seriousness of committing certain crimes. Nor was he trained on how to cope and deal with his anger. So many parents are leaving this education up to the Internet, television, games, friends, and the streets. When parents don't take the time to teach their kids/teenagers, the results can be deadly. We see it in the news all the time.

This article is followed by the article entitled: A Closer Look At Juvenile Prison

No comments:

Post a Comment