Tuesday, March 1, 2011

God Found Me

God Took Me by the Hand




I want you to tell me. What do these people have in common?

Norma Jean Baker (aka Marilyn Monroe)
Raymond Neil Combs Jr.
Jean Seberg
Michael Blosil

If you said they all committed suicide, you’re right. These people took their own lives. For whatever reason, they found it hard to cope and decided to end it all by killing themselves.

Suicide takes many lives away from us yearly. It’s been estimated that as many as a million people kill themselves each year. This is definitely something we need to take notice of.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to kill myself. I was very disappointed with my life (at that time). I had done some things that I was ashamed of. I had hurt a lot of people (especially my family). I didn’t think I would be forgiven. Nor did I think anyone loved me. I was struggling in school with my grades. I had a few friends. I never had popular friends. I felt like I didn't fit in with that group. I felt alone. My relationship with my mom was a painful one. I felt like she always picked on me. I felt like she didn’t love me. I was not very close to my mom (we’re much closer now). My dad was hardly ever home. Eventually, my parents divorced. I started drinking and taking drugs (downers). By the way, I got real skinny during this time. I was taking drugs more than I was eating.

One particular night, I wanted to end it all. I had it all planned. I was going to drink a 2 liter of beer (which I did). Then, I was going to drive my car off a bridge. I didn’t know where or how. I just knew I wanted to do that. However, for some reason, I ended up over my boyfriend’s house. He became aware of my situation. He would not let me be alone. He drove me around on his motorcycle until I was sober. I don’t know whatever became of him. But, I’m very thankful that he was there during my time of need. Anyway, I ended up sobering up. Needless to say, I didn’t kill myself.

God Found Me
I learned that God cares for me. He cares for each and every one of us. He found me. He strengthened me. He’s the reason I’m still here to tell you my story. I learned that he gave me life as a gift. He wants me to take care of the gift of life. He doesn’t want me to harm my body in any way. I appreciate that. I respect his views. My life doesn’t belong to me. It’s like someone giving you a gift. You wouldn’t throw it away would you? So why should we throw away the gift of life that God has given us?


So before you even begin to think about taking your own life, talk to someone. Try your best to let them know how you're feeling. Don't isolate yourself. Seek the company of family and friends. Get on the phone and call someone (you can contact me). You may just need to vent your feelings to a listening ear. I'll help you through this. I've been where you are.

A Reminder for Parents and Friends
Please listen to any and all talk of suicide. Take it serious. You may have to just be a listening ear. Sometimes that's all that is needed. If you sense something, talk to the individual. Don't just assume it's nothing. Try to get inside the person's head. We want to help others, not judge them.




Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting content. Surprised am the first to comment here. All the same, it is a touching and sad topic that we humans have to address and look into with serious concern. Any close friend, family or relative might be a victim of suicide and well all need to talk to one another and get comfort and solutions to our troubled attitudes or mind.
    Thanks am a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. Yes, anyone can be a victim of suicide. I appreciate your follow too!

    ReplyDelete